Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Milgram Follow-Up UPDATE

Much to my disappointment, the video for this post was removed this afternoon, and it is no longer available online.  Please just do the homework for Thursday (read the remaining essays, and write a reading response)...see you then!

4 comments:

  1. 1. Honestly I was surprised by the results of the experiment i believed that the reason behind the Milgram experiment was the time period and the participants involved. On the contrary, the same results occurred; there were still those whom followed instructions given by the experimenter. I believe my new mindset is that under any circumstances individuals will obey a person who seems to have higher authority over them.
    2. This video has definitely changed my viewpoint on the experiment. For the simple reason that nothing truly has changed and that people can be easily convinced to do certain tasks if they are instructed to by the instructor. Also my mindset that race had a huge difference also was incorrect because with this batch of participants it was diverse but still race did not truly show any difference though.
    3. I do believe that this experiment does give a real sense of human nature simply because it shows how obedient people truly are. In this experiment participants could easily stop whenever they felt yet many did not, why, is the question that everyone asks? The reason is because our subconscious sees the "authority" figure that calls the shots and believes that he/she knows best so we do not question it. In this case they knew that the experimenter knew what was best because he conducted it, so in their mindset, they believed he knew what was best. One could say that humans depend on others opinions to make their decisions at many points through difficult decisions.
    -Frank Machado

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal Arellano

    1.After reading and seeing the facts of the new conducted experiment resembling the Milgram experiment, I still find that no matter what time period it was conducted, people will still react to it the same way. During any period of time, people will always have someone who is higher in authority. Whether it is a family member or scientist, people will fall short from being able to comprehend the value of having independence and follow “authority” because they are telling them what to do. Through this experiment true morals are revealed as the person fights for what is right or wrong.

    2. This video made me become more aware of the actions many people have when under “authority.” I can see that for many people it is hard to be able to say no or walk away from what they believe is wrong. As I try to picture myself in that position I cant imagine myself being like the rest and allowing authority to take over my morals. Knowing that I am causing pain on someone else for no beneficial reason other than science, it would truly upset me and make me stop the experiment from continuing.

    3. I believe that this experiment does give a real sense of human nature as it explores the mentality that many people have. Although the experiment uses diverse people we can conclude that sometimes those aspects such as education, race, age don’t matter and people still fall short from rejecting authority. In the experiment the volunteer Troy said that because the experimenter kept telling him that everything was going to be fine and there was nothing to be worried about, he continued. This raises the question that sometimes assertion causes confidence and takes away the guilty feelings. If the experimenter would have never told him that, would he have stopped earlier? I believe that he would have just because he would have felt responsible and ashamed for hurting someone he didn't even know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) Yes, I think after watching the new version of the experiment, it confirmed the inability for us to rebel against an authority figure, even when this authority figure is asking us to do something that goes against our morals. When I found that woman were involved in the new experiment, I had a sense of hope, that they would be more compassionate to the man yelling in agony, however as the experiment proved woman were more likely to torture the subject then men were.
    2) After having read the original experiment one of my first reactions was, “this would never happen in our times.” I based this hypothesis on the fact that people were a lot more conservative in the 1960’s then they are now. This led me to believe they were less likely to disobey an authority figure. I assumed that because our society has become more liberal over the years, the teachers would have no problem standing against an authority figure and disobeying it. Unfortunately I was wrong and the results from the new experiment closely resembled the results of the original experiment.
    3) Yes, I think the video shows our fear to rebel against an authority figure. Even when they ask us to do something that goes against our morals. I think the origin of this fear is due to retaliation, by the authority figure. Take for example the experiment; even though they felt bad for torturing the “learner,” they must have felt a sense of relieve to be the one giving the shock, and not the one receiving them.
    Isidoro Medrano

    ReplyDelete
  4. My initial reaction was that this experiment is cruel, but when I found out that the shocks weren’t real I found the experiment to be interesting. The new version did not change my original view. I found it interesting how some people tend to be submissive and follow authority. What was more intriguing were the explanations to why they objected, or rejected the orders from the experimenter.

    Watching the video added another layer to the observations because the teacher’s reactions are visible. Seeing the reactions is important because they can be interpreted to find out how the experiment is affecting the teacher. Some of the teachers were serious and ignored the screams of the learners. Some were more compassionate in that they stopped before going further while others complained about the screams but kept going with the experiment. When asked why they continued, the majority answered that they felt pressured by the experimenters presence, and reassurance that he would take responsibility. This shows how people tend to partake in an action when another person is doing it as well.

    This experiment shows how humans tend to be selfish. Most want to look good in front of others especially if its an important figure. Also, since mostly everyone is raised to obey rather than disobey it is common to follow orders from authority figures.


    Xiomara Valdizon

    ReplyDelete